How alter the length of the lifting chains on a Simpro Dumpmaster bin lifter.
- This task is easier if the cradle is supported in position as high as possible, to release as much chain as possible to work with.
- Ideally, the cradle should be raised fully, and then securely supported with a crane, hoist, forklift, or similar means.
- Alternatively, tie the cradle to the top frame with a load-binder or similar.
- Remove the sheet-metal Ram Cover.
- Release the connecting links holding the chains to the chain adjusting bolts, or make a note of how far the nuts are wound onto the adjusting bolts, and remove them.
Lengthening the chains
Note: Standard connecting links cannot be fitted if they will need to go through the ram-end rollers, so we generally recommend hammering standard links back together. Links must be added as inner and outer pairs.
- Add the desired length of chain to the existing chain using an outer link, hammered back together.
- Ensure the outer links are tight against the inner links, and the pins protrude evenly through both sides.
Shortening the chains
- Ideally, use a chain-breaker to press the pins out of the selected outer link. If a chain-breaker is not available, the outer end of the pins may be ground off, and the pins hit through with a pin punch and hammer.
- Re-connect the chains to the adjusting bolts, or replace the Nyloc nuts, ensuring they are adjusted to the same position as they were.
- Lower the cradle so the weight is taken by the chains again, then press the Lower button to let it down to the ground.
- Check that the cradle is sitting level and adjust if necessary.
- When all is OK, refit the ram cover.